Summary. This page provides suggested guidelines for setting up a computer from the point of reinstalling Windows on a fresh hard drive.
- Install Microsoft Windows 7 [Buy]
- Change power options for maximum performance and turn off automatic sleep. This ensures ongoing access when remotely checking on lengthy software installations and updates. Once setup is complete, power management can be set to a more energy efficient configuration.
- Install Teamviewer and configure. This allows for the remote management and monitoring during lengthy updates and software installations.
- Make Google the default search engine and startup for Internet Explorer. MSN with Bing is the default. Using MSN as a startup page takes longer to load because of all the images and ads.
- Install Microsoft Security Essentials
- Install Microsoft Live Essentials
- Install Adobe Flash
- Install Adobe Reader
- Install iTunes if you would like to have the Apple iTunes store and software for purchasing and playing music, reading books, watching movies, etc. You may want to use this if you have an iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Install Quick Time Player
- Install Windows Updates after enabling updates for all Microsoft products. You’ll find this under the Start Menu – not listed under any folders, but listed in the top list of programs.
- Install Libre Office if you’d like a free alternative to Microsoft Office.
- Purchase Office 365 for a cost of $100 a year for up to five computers. This isn’t required, but may be necessary if you absolutely need to use Microsoft Office software products.